Jennifer Lawrence is known for a lot of things: a great actress and an inspiring young women are some of them. The actress worked her way up from taking on supporting roles to taking on lead roles as Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games movie franchise and Mystique in the X-Men francise. In 2015 and 2016, she was the highest-paid actress in the world.
Despite being one of the most famous A-listers in Hollywood, J-Law is known for being down-to-earth, extremely relatable and hilarious—which is why she’s such an inspiration. More importantly, she doesn’t change the way she is to fit into Hollywood’s expectations of what a woman should be and often stands up for what she firmly believes in. To celebrate her birthday, we’ve rounded up some of her most memorable and relatable quotes from previous interviews.
1. “I learned that you can’t have any expectations with life or with this business. … You never know what’s going to happen.”
2. “You look how you look, you have to be comfortable. What are you going to do? Be hungry every single day to make other people happy? That’s just dumb.”
3. “I’m a big believer in accepting yourself the way you are and not really worrying about it.”
4. “I just think it should be illegal to call somebody fat on TV. Because why is humiliating people funny.“
5. “I’d like to direct at some point. But I don’t know because 10 years ago I would have never imagined that I’d be here. So in 10 years from now, I might be running a rodeo.”
6. “I’m so aware of all the b.s. that surrounds Hollywood and how everyone gets on this high horse and thinks that they’re curing cancer and it makes me so uncomfortable every time I see it. So I go in the exact opposite direction and end up saying something like ‘I’m pregnant!’ when I’m in two franchises.”
7. “I’m over trying to find the ‘adorable’ way to state my opinion and still be likable! F– that. I don’t think I’ve ever worked for a man in charge who spent time contemplating what angle he should use to have his voice heard. It’s just heard.”
8. “There are actresses who build themselves, and then there are actresses who are built by others… I want to build myself.“
9. “I don’t like waking up with nothing to do or going to sleep without accomplishing anything.”
10. “Yesterday I had to do an interview. I was in a horrible mood. I couldn’t think of basic words. I could see my publicist in the background, mouthing things to say. They want you to be likable all the time, and I’m just not.“
Images: TPG/Click Photos