Story has been updated to reflect latest updates and provide more information about Jonghyun.
A member of K-pop group SHINee, Jonghyun, has reportedly died. He was found unconscious in a room with a coal briquette burning.
Multiple reports, including Yonhap News, wrote that the singer died at 6.30pm in an apparent carbon monoxide poisoning. Other reports stated he was found at 6.10pm but died on the way to the hospital.
A rep from Gangnam police station has confirmed Jonghyun’s death to the Korean media, adding that investigations are ongoing.
More from CLEO:
Big Bang’s Taeyang And Min Hyo Rin To Marry In February Next Year
Can You Guess The Korean Drama Based On A One-Line Summary?
Local Actor Nat Ho Will Be Opening A Bubble Tea Store In Singapore
The presence of a coal briquette allegedly found on a frying pan led many to believe that it was an apparent suicide.
It was reported that he had rented the room, an “officetel” (similar to a studio apartment) in Cheongdam-dong for two nights. He reportedly sent a suicide note to his sister, who then called the police.
Jonghyun debuted with SHINee in 2008. The group has seen massive success around the world, with chart-toppers such as “Replay”, “Ring Ding Dong” and “Sherlock”. The 27-year-old released a solo album last year, and was rumoured to be releasing one next year. He is also known for his song-writing abilities, having composed tunes for himself as well as other singers such as IU.
The singer is also known for being vocal about social issues on Twitter.
If you know someone who is suicidal, call Samaritans of Singapore at 1800-221 4444 (24-hour hotline).