Over the Chinese New Year weekend, one reddit user decided to create a Google document titled “CNY Power Play” to chronicle sh*t his/her relatives have said while visiting. He/she allowed public access so that others can add in their own grievances with passive aggressive relatives, and it soon received widespread circulation online, particularly amongst the millennials. Well if there’s one thing we learnt from this, it’s that YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Everyone has the same insufferable nosy aunty or uncle who is just out to win the shade-throwing Olympics. Here are some lines which you might find familiar.
- “MY SON DROVE US HERE IN HIS NEW CAR, VERY HARD TO FIND PARKING YOU KNOW”
This will be the only time you wished there were more ERP gantries around.
- (in front of your gf/bf) “EH THIS ONE NEW ONE AH? Last time one look better leh, aiyoh why like that?
- “Wa fat liao hor”
- “Cannot find boyfriend ah? Go NUS’s Medicine or Law faculty walk one round”
LOLOLOLOL WE CAN’T EVEN.
- “You dye your hair until liddat, nice meh?”
- “Heng ah, your baby dont look like both of you.”
OUCH. This is savage AF.
- “GAHMEN VERY UNFAIR DON’T LET MY SON BUY HDB, SAY HE EARNING TOO MUCH, AIYOH.”
- “Haven’t find bf yet?! Don’t be so picky, as long as is guy can already.”
Aunty, just because you lowered your standards doesn’t mean that I have to settle for less.
- SEE THIS PRIVILEGE BANKING ANGBAO FROM MY SON’S BANK ONE, HE BANKER YA
Yah lah yah lah, your son the best lah.
- And our favourite – which proves that the best passive aggressive power play is one that uses zero words: *DRAMATIC APPLE WATCH WRIST FLICK*
Still basking in the New Year mood? Download these super cute LINE sitckers! The Chinese New Year sticker set will be available for download from February 2nd to March 2nd 2016 and can be used for 90 days from the date of download.
Image: 123RF.com/Wong Sze Yuen
Text: Sophie Hong